Writer's Craft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Writer's Craft

Southwood's EWC4UI Writer's Craft Course 2010

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

RP Theme Poll

Go down 
5 posters

Final Question: Do we want the tie, or the clear vote?
Run Fantasy and Open-Ended!
RP Theme Poll Vote_lcap0%RP Theme Poll Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Run just Fantasy!
RP Theme Poll Vote_lcap0%RP Theme Poll Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Fantasy
RP Theme Poll Vote_lcap50%RP Theme Poll Vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
Open-Ended
RP Theme Poll Vote_lcap33%RP Theme Poll Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Steampunk
RP Theme Poll Vote_lcap17%RP Theme Poll Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder
Ocean Seven

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:41 am

*Will Activate Poll At Appropriate Time*

Rather then disapoint people with no replies, we'll make a poll and gather ideas for RP themes that we'd all agree on.

My Ideas:

Sci-Fi (Contemporary, i.e. Star Wars/Star Trek-type.)

Sci-Fi (Advanced Aerospace; i.e. my kind. Not terribly different then Contemporary, and most of the physics differences are overlooked and purely for the looks- notiably, engines aren't always on, not every ship can sport open fires when hit, and a small change in how weapons work- lasers are best against shields, and cannons are best against the ship itself. Very simple but engaging.)

Open-Ended (We discuss a start point and let it go from there. I'd like to see this be semi-serious, not entirely comedy, but more along the lines of Lucky Star, i.e. written about daily stuff, within a loose let of realistic constraints, but doing stuff like in SOS Brigade is acceptable in moderdation.)

Another example of OE that I did was we got a bunch of people together, and the setting was a small resturaunt. There was no real plot or anything, we just started off and let time do its thing. Granted, this one did have a shady atmosphere, so it was far easier to get things going into a crazy jumble, but it was still fun. (Although we all waited at our seats for two weeks before someone finally ranted that we were doing nothing. I at least said I was waiting for someone. Course that could just compound the problem by the lazier people just waiting for me to introduce this person, which I actually had no intention of doing. I just wanted to foster a mysterous look. xD What with a guy in a black trench coat sitting down at a corner booth and immediately placing an Uzi on the table. That just wasn't enough. I needed a reason to have a loaded Uzi sitting in the open. Then again, maybe that was why half a dozen cops barged into the place in the third week. I still feel sorry for mowing them down. Because my character had to do some work, not because I felt bad for the cops. It's generally a stupid idea to walk up to a guy with a loaded gun within a moment's grasp.)

So if we make an OE RP, we could just stick everyone in a bar or someplace, and see what happens.

Last edited by Ocean Seven on Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.project-n25.deviantart.com
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder
Ocean Seven

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 2:41 pm

An example of how I would setup an RP that I've run on other forums:
(This is an altered version I've been writing since I logged in today.)

Traditional Opening:
Spoiler:

What started out as a simple explination of terms, but ended up being a lot more detailed then I intended. Still informative though, for anyone who likes to get into the RP's universe, especially if its like a fanfic RP, where there is the potential to do things outside the RP and still have an effect. (Sometimes even on the next RP or the current RP, I've changed some of my RP's because of new developments in the OMW-Universe.)
Spoiler:

And again, another overblown intention. I intended to wrap up with an explination on how I governed editing of ships (because not everyone can get it within the unwriteable limits the first time) until I realised that- oh crap, there is so much that I could freak people out with if I didn't tell and show them that I don't mean this or that personally. This RP, whether or not we go with it's theme, is still relevant- I am indeed still looking for people to come up with ship ideas. I can get the link to anyone who is interested and doesn't way to search for the piece themselves on DeviantART, or if your name is Dixon. (OH SNAP BROSKI.) If you can't view it, please tell me. I don't remember exactly what I've put a content filter on and what I haven't, and you need an account to view a filtered piece, and one that is 18+ for a mature filter piece. (Caution Filteres let anyone view 'em, so long as they are okay with what the content is warning about. It lets people still write or draw mature/potentially offensive content that doesn't really need to be fully blocked, but still make sure that kids aren't browsing aimlessly. (Take SWAT for example. it's PG13 but it has one occasion where Gamble screams "FUCK SWAT" to Street. Given the context of the incident, there was no other word to convey the same meaning, but not every parent censors everything. I've watched uncensored comedy with my parents since I was twelve at least. As for art, it could be a fully clothed but suggestive posture, or any one of the ways to make a naked character fall under an OT 16+ rating for manga. Not something you'd want a kid to just stumble upon without the opportunity for a parent to catch the accident before it blows up in their face. (You have no idea how silent parents can be walking down stairs, or how much attention you can have on what you're doing. It really sucks when someone sends you a link to what think is a cool artwork, but it isn't filtered and the title sure as hell doesn't give it away, only to have a parent stumble upon it before you can do anything. And they ALWAYS get the wrong idea.)
Spoiler:

I highly recommend closing one spoiler before opening another if your computer is slow, and just because it's longish. You still need your scrolling finger to one-up strangers, yo. (You have no idea how true that is.)
Back to top Go down
GoldScarb
Veteran Writer
Veteran Writer
GoldScarb

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 9:06 am

What about a fantasy thing, like LOTR or DnD?
Back to top Go down
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder
Ocean Seven

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 11:16 am

GoldScarb wrote:
What about a fantasy thing, like LOTR or DnD?

D&D isn't easily done on a forum, especially a semi-active one such as ours. A typical Forum RP doesn't incorporate die rolls or damages, but rather operates on the players acting farily as they battle enemies they typically generate themselves. (A good RP does not need an RP Master, as the players will quickly get into the edge and be able to read the mind of the original writer with a good degree of accuracy. Which is basicially saying you have a themed RP that just evolved into a themed open-ended RP where everyone knows what to do, and the RP master rarely has to intervene.)

I'm pretty sure that forum RP's evolved from something like D&D, though, because they are played in the same general fashion- a storyline, characters, and a buttload of enemies. Just without all the hassle of numbers, and lasting as long as the thread lasts. (Plus without numbers you're only limited to the number of RP's you can keep track of in your head.)

This is why I decided against making the Roleplay Sheets enabled on the forum, because with Written RP's, it would be useless. (because really, if you hit someone with a goddamn fireball you expect them to die because of the overpressure- just like how a point-blank shot with a flamethrower will literally cause a human to explode. And you can't take a fireball to the gut and just shake it off. Even if you did survive it you're gonna be in pain, regardless of HP. xD)

But Fantasy will be added to da list. (lol I left that one for someone else cuz I could have listed off everything, but I wanted to see what people are interested in themselves so I didn't have to write up multiple selections that didn't have a hope in hell of being voted for. XD)

The only quarrel I have with your post is I hope to hell you really meant like LOTR. I really hate being stuck using premade characters in fantasy RP's. IMHO scratch creation is much better. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
moni.s
Experenced Writer
Experenced Writer
moni.s

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Hmm, well... I'm not too sure if I will be doing this role-playing thing,
BUT,
an open-ended or fantasy thing sounds pretty cool. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.moni-cellardoor.tumblr.com
Natoxi
Experenced Writer
Experenced Writer
Natoxi

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 12:06 am

Ahhh so this is my idea for the roleplay (which I accidentally sent the preview of to Moni for whatever reason O3o I swore I hit reply button but newp...hit message Moni button. Yes I'm an idiot hush XD).

So as I told Moni this plot pretty much involves modern fantasy, passion, government agencies, corruption, school settings, etc. etc. very interesting stuff I hope that will also appeal to everyone (the plot, in my opinion, is rather flexible and allows for character growth and creativity). This is also based on a plot for one of the series novels I'm writing called Seedlings. Very fascinating stuff XD

The Back Story

A long time ago people such as you and I faced a time where the world was not right. What was called a monarchy was pure anarchy. Citizens young and old, men and women, all were subjected to fear, violence and hatred. They were the damned, those who strayed and ultimately denying the existance of their lords. Darkness overcame them, blessing them with devil's magic. These were the witches, and they all burned to the ground...or so we thought...

Extracted from the root of a tree the gene known as the Seed has been studied a great deal in secret. It is said to be the root of this devil magic. In secret this gene had been manipulated and molded to be used for destruction. This destruction brought about the generations to come...the Seedlings.

You are the fruit of this gene manipulation. You are a Seedling. On the outside you look pretty normal. The gene has caused some weird deformities such as feral parts (animal ears, gills, metallic claws, charred skin, etc.) but you look like a human being. However, you are not. Deep within you, pulsing through your veins is this devil's magic. It takes on many forms such as shapeshifting, pyrokinesis, telekinesis, etc. The possibilities are essentially endless.

However, currently there is no use for you. The war which you were created for as come to a stand still. For now you've been locked within the confinements of a boarding school with your own kind. Your family, friends, all of it has been left behind, leaving you trapped in Silenci Infern, a boarding school for 'witches'.

Key Terms:

Seed: The gene which has been developed by scientists, giving unborn children supernatural abilities. These powers can be anything within respectable limits. Free reign just no ultimates XD That was a given though.

Seedling: The children which have been 'blessed' with the Seed gene. These are not the generic type of witches which wave wands and dance around in black dresses (aka Harry Potter) but vary in terms of power and personality.

Witch: The originals which possessed the devil's magic. It's often used as a word to insult Seedling.

Settings:

Society: The world which these kids have never known. I'm thinking more like of a Toronto or New York styled city. Very grey, polluted, populated and corrupted.

Silenci Infern: Translated into english as Silent Hell. This bording school is essentially a school removed from main stream society, creating it's own mini society. This school was meant to be inescapable and is even considered a prison to some. Do not let it's old english style castle appeal with valiant court yard and high class air fool you. It's where the damned must live.

Basic Plot Outline:

1. Students coping with life that is not of main stream society.
2. Something triggers us to want to rebel and escape
3. After escaping a hunt begins to perhaps either eliminate all Seedlings or return them to the school

Note** I've left this plot extremely basic because I wanted interactions between students to ultimately decide what will happen to them. It's like whatever feels like will happen will happen. As I said, flexible~

Types of Characters Needed:

Seedlings: Without them I think we'd be pretty much without a roleplay here. As I've mentioned before powers vary considering on what people want. Some characters from my novel (which actually doesn't follow this plot at all but something completely different) manipulate fire, change into a cat, mind read, conduct electricty without metal, etc. etc. The possibilities are endless but please refrain from characters who seem godly or immortal cause technically they are still human and flawed, just humans on supernatural steroids XD

P.s. for the sake of the roleplay have characters like age 15+ It just saves us the lack of maturity.

Teachers: These can be easily discarded once we no longer need them. These people will are powerless but have ways of controlling the Seedlings. Once again up to you.

Agents/Hunts: Those who hunt down the Seedlings if they plan on escaping Silenci Infern. These people vary and age and are employed by the government. These people could even be Seedlings turned against their own kind. In one part of my novel an emotionless 'robotic natured' girl is indeed a Seedling and has been so brain washed she hunts her own kind without realizing it. They are meant to be overpowering but don't make them immortal XD

I think that's all my brain can muster right now. I just thought this plot would allow for everyone to have input and be able to work with. Besides, it can allow for some of you manly men to exhibit some passion D8<;;;
Back to top Go down
http://iechno.deviantart.com/
GoldScarb
Veteran Writer
Veteran Writer
GoldScarb

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 9:28 am

That sounds like a really cool idea. I would really like to try that and create a seedling with lightning power.
Back to top Go down
moni.s
Experenced Writer
Experenced Writer
moni.s

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:18 am

Wow! That sounds like a fun idea. Smile I'd love to play a seedling who has telekinesis. Or a clairvoyant! If that would work, lol.

I've actually never roleplayed before, but it does look fun! Note to self: get pointers from friend tonight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.moni-cellardoor.tumblr.com
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder
Ocean Seven

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 11:05 am

Anyone for steampunk? Not nessesarily Victorian Steampunk, but any instance where technology is more advanced then wha tthe surroundings seem to say. (Technically, that's my One Man War Saga. xD Earth in 2039 with huge fleets ftw.)

EDIT: Dang, reading that a second time made me attracted to the idea... Even though I don't get to use my OP main character. xD

Also: Sweet. A totaly legit reason for having a neko, without having to introduce their whole race.

Ooh ooh, can we make more then one? Very Happy If so I'm totally slapping in my two little nekos from Shattered Skies! Heart

Last edited by Ocean Seven on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Herp Derp Posted too early...)
Back to top Go down
Natoxi
Experenced Writer
Experenced Writer
Natoxi

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 am

Well of course we can have more than one character XD I know I'm definately going to pull out a few of my Seedlings from my novels in the making X3 I think I have 3 I really want to introduce: F3AR1355 (Fearless), Lucia and I was going to bring in my own Neko but no way am I going to crush Seven's dreams of having his own Neko girl XD

There will have to be doubling of characters though since I doubt I could play teachers, agents, etc. etc. depending where we take the plot. If we did the whole breaking free and being hunted we'd really have to collaborate~

But thanks <3 I'm glad my idea is so well liked~
Back to top Go down
http://iechno.deviantart.com/
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder
Ocean Seven

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Natoxi wrote:
Seven's dreams of having his own Neko girl XD

RP Theme Poll Lolgoo10

(MS Paint ftw.)

I've got at least a half a dozen of them. Not counting ones that I didn't make lol, and Nekomimi versions of existing characters. (Like Konata Heart )

Main nekos:

Neko-Chan: The wife of Ocean throughout the different Sagas. Originated from an image of a neko in a forest with a flute. (Her primary appearance is in the latest mideval Saga)

Nyan: Myan's twin sister; rescued by Ocean from a rather horrible fate during the mission to locate EX1. Outgoing, but gets flustered easily. gets extremly embarrassed, but afterwords acts as if it never happened. Is sort of let down that Myan just can't leave the past in the past, but despite her age, understands. Regardless, her careless nature gets the better of her and she keeps trying to get Myan to forget, usually just making it worse.

Myan: Nyan's twin sister; rescued by Ocean from a rather horrible fate during the mission to locate EX1. Incredibly shy and rarely talks, but her few efforts, while not greatly helpful, are enough to keep everyone happy simply because she tried. Most likely smarter then Nyan, just lacks the will to share with people regularly. Other then Nyan, she only talks to Ocean and Rckt, and rarely at that. Mostly Ocean can guess what she wants by her actions or emotions. Myan does get a little annoyed at Nyan for always pestering her, but inside, she appreciates Nyan for trying to help her forget. Would almost be the stereotypical shy kid if she hadn't absorbed a little of Nyan's personality and was prone to talking back (in her own way) and didn't have conviction. (She is frail though.)

*Note: Both of these girls are like eight... Yet in Shattered Skies and Project Neko-25, they're both Admirals. (In Shattered Skies Myan piggybacks with Nyan, but in Neko-25 she's shed a lot of her shyness and can adequately command her ship with minor assistance. Is also a hell of a lot more violent when she's 'in the mood', aka, when she's immersed in her battle sense. (Which always freaks the living daylights out of Ahsuna because she's so used to a meek little girl, not an eight year-old in a battle rage.) Also, the smarts really show, because Nyan frequently participates in suicide rushes whenever Myan hasn't been confrencing with her. Nyan's got the devil's luck when that happens though. In one instance, a missile broke though the ship's shield and found the bridge, and Nyan only survived because a minute before, she left the bridge on account of what could only be accounted as a freak hormonal flash- in the middle of a raging charge she literally experenced a hot flash. (Since that would be such an abrupt experence for her, because it's never happened and she's hopped up in an adrenalin rush, it would be quite apparent when it happened. At least she could tell what it was, and decided, luckily, to sit it out elsewhere just in case. Poor old Ensign Bridge-Grade Simon took the brunt of the unluck though. (Why is an Ensign commanding the ship? Well, Nyan is a goddamn eight year old, and not a hugely tactical one. Ocean assigned a replacement because he knew that Nyan couldn't possibly force herself to work at optimum through an extended battle, and sure as hell would be hard pressed to remain so after the enegry died down, and it just-so-happaned that a young applicant to the Navy had a great deal of tactical brilliance, but wasn't able to be accepted in on account of low scores elsewhere. Because it would look very bad to have a flunkee with a high title on a bridge, he was ranked at Ensign, and Bridge-Grade is just a shorthand for an interm bridge commander. Other then that he really serves no purpose, although he is [was lol] a social buddy with Nyan. But he was a boy, and Nyan didn't really care for very long. XD So heartless. Ocean's warfare heartlessness has rubbed off on her, methinks. XD)

Yukie: Neko-Chan and Ocean's daughter. PLOT TWIST. Not. Neko-Chan's bilogical daughter, and Ocean's adoptive daughter. (Neko-Chan, too, was rescued from elsewhere. More discovery then rescue, but the fact that he saved her from an otherwise terrible life makes it a rescue.)

Like Myan, she's not terribly talkative, but she's not exactly shy. It's more of she just doesn't care about anything except herself and what she is doing at the moment. Doesn't talk to anyone other then Ocean and Neko, and sometimes Myan, although early on Myan was terrified by her because of her 'don't give a crap' aura. Usually wakes herself up without a hitch, shufflles around and does what she does, and then shuffles straight into Ocean's lap, no matter what he's doing, (Unless he's standing or only has one leg available.) and reads. This used to bug Ocean, but after a few times he got used to it and sort of likes it, because at least she's in contact with someone, even if she never utters a word to anyone, even himself. Usually when she talks its in a monotone, but her actual voice is much higher, and sounds more like her image. Even though Myan is used to her, she still can't get used to her popping in whenever and just planting her butt beside her. (Also finds it awkward to do anything when Yukie never talks because Myan is a firm believer in keeping as good an image as possible, and is afraid Yukie will go balistic (against all possible odds) and flame her for 'ignoring' her.) So whenever Yukie drops in, poor old Myan usually ends up doing nothing, too polite to try to read over Yukie's shoulder.

Although she never seems to do anything except read and watch videos, she's actually in great shape.

And that's just the main three. xD
Back to top Go down
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder
Ocean Seven

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 9:57 am

Well... Four votes, we need a tiebreaker... I'll see if Dr. Prof. 42 Farads will join in with something!
Back to top Go down
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder
Ocean Seven

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Last I checked we had a tie, but now we've got Fantasy as the top voted. Final check: do we want to run both Fant. and O-E at the same time, or just Fantasy? Vote has changed to reflect this question.

Vote Archive:

Fantasy: 3 Votes
Open-Ended: 2 Votes
Steampunk: 1 Vote
Back to top Go down
GoldScarb
Veteran Writer
Veteran Writer
GoldScarb

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 9:18 pm

Fantasy with steampunk elements maybe?
Back to top Go down
Phemonix
Veteran Writer
Veteran Writer
Phemonix

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Rawr   RP Theme Poll EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Fantasy FTW!!!
Back to top Go down
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder
Ocean Seven

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 9:51 am

So is anyone gonna make the RP? I'll probably keep the forum up for the hell of it, so we could keep doing it even after the term is done.

SO WHO'S UP FOR A TWO WEEK, FIVE HUNDRED POST LONG RP RAMPAGE?!? [/announcervoice]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RP Theme Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Theme Poll   RP Theme Poll Empty

Back to top Go down

RP Theme Poll
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Writer's Craft :: Roleplaying :: RP Character Sect.-
Jump to: