Writer's Craft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Writer's Craft

Southwood's EWC4UI Writer's Craft Course 2010

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

[RP] Global Hunter: Wolves of Pure Planet 14

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder
Ocean Seven

[RP] Global Hunter: Wolves of Pure Planet 14 Empty
PostSubject: [RP] Global Hunter: Wolves of Pure Planet 14   [RP] Global Hunter: Wolves of Pure Planet 14 EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 1:00 pm

This isn't a short story so much as it is a recap of weekly events on the game Global Hunter.

Background to Global Hunter: GH:WoPP14 spans a 1/4th scale Earth, a 1/8th scale Mars, and the space between. It has twelve members, no more, no less, for life. It uses an AI program capable of acting on its own with a high degree of similarity to a human player, albiet with slight faster responce times. (So it doesn't just sit there while the human is busy on another front. We've treaked it down so it doesn't run everything itself, but rather act as a second commander to assist in combat over multiple battlefields while the human player concentrates on just one. This limits sensory overload for a single human, and makes the game realistic- the player still has to deal with all the fronts, but has the same assistance as real life battlefield commands- front leaders to handle other jobs. This was done, actually, primiarily to keep the Psychological Warfare component from englufing everyone. (All twelve of us are constantly using PW against one another in game and in life.)

The game started with two teams, but within three months the teams shattered as people got to know each other and formed more effective groups.

The Starting Roster:
Earth Liberation Union
Excel Saga (Aka Albatross)
Brad Elliot (Named because of his likness to General Elliot from Dan Brown's novels)
Eleven (Named as such because of his likeness to Eleven from One Man War)
Twelve (See above, replace Eleven with Twelve)
Inspector Gadget (Named because of his tendancy to spring miracles from out of nowhere)
Nugget (Named because he's the 'newest' addition to our group- be it that he's three years in.)

Fallen First Legion
Matt (This isn't a nickname. he doesn't deserve any nice ones. -.- )
Five (Named because of his likeness to Five in One Man War: He's very annoying, and a tactical mastermind)
The Motherboard (named because virtually all the stuff that the FFL comes up with is channeled through him. Except for Matt, but thats because nobody wants to step in crap.)
Red Hering (Named because like Inspector Gadget, he looks like he's doing one thing then pulls a dozen nukes out of his ass.)
Red Meurcury [aka Snpr Mk.VII] (My name is Snpr Mk.VII both out and inside GH:WOPP14, but I'm dubbed Red Meurcury because of my devestating power in small conflicts.)
One (Named after the captain of the First Fifty.)

The Teams Now:
Red Murcury [Myself] + Albatross [Saga] + One
Five + Eleven+ Twelve + Motherboard
Brad + Gadget + Nugget
*Red Herring
**Matt

*Herring actually broke off right from the start and claimed the area around Norway as his. Nobody has yet to dethrone him from there, even in the current situation. As well, nobody dared aggrivate him because he was rumored to have a huge fleet of subs in the ocean primed to bombard the whole planet with nuclear weapons. He has no formal alliance, but helps others in the European Union area from time to time. often assists Matt, which is odd, because Herring is the kind of guy who doesn't do anything without a damn good reason, and especially not if he expects to fail horribly.

**Matt is the resident Element of Chaos. He is a horribly stupid player who throws tactics into the wind and attacks with whatever he feels like. Thats not to say he hasn't gotten far doing this, as he has actually managed to down an entire attack flight with nothing but two waves of SS-N-19 'Kitchen' Anti-Ship missiles. Like Herring is unpredictable, but in this case its unpreditability through incompitence rather then though a cloak of mystery.

Each team controlls, or rather controlled, a select number of countries. Myself, I used to lord over Germany (in close proximity with Herring, which made Germany a very dicey staging point.) Canada, Eastern Russia (including Novaya Zemlya and Severnaya Zemlya), Scoutland, Greenland, Iceland and Alaska, with several bases in America. However, three weeks ago the world entered World War III, after the Mexicans, unoccupied, attacked and conquered Southeastern America, and a small belt of Southwestern America. because of the political ramifications of retaliating with nuclear forces, I couldn't rout the Mexicans in time, and was forced to eventually commit my nuclear forces to the battle. Northern Mexico now lies in a state of total radioactive ruin, which set off World War III. Not fifteen minutes later the former Ottoman Empire (Notiably Turkey) was wiped straight off the face of the Earth by missiles from Red Herring. The reason was unknown, and where they came from was also never discovered. Turkey, including the American base at Irnclik, is a smoking crater. The entire Middle East cordoned itself off after an invading army from Elliot passed over over five hundred buried nuclear weapon webs, detonating them and causing a massive nuclear eruption across the comlete geopoliticial borders of the Middle Eastern countries. The only acess route is from the sea, which is heavily guarded and suspected of having the same defensive system as the land, so it is effectively left alone. To ensure that the Middle East was indeed left alone, I took the liberty of challenging the AI guarding the seas by driving in a flotilla of supply vessels and landing ships. The AI was kind enough to wait and see what would happen, and, probably due to the good diplomatic ties between my forces and theirs, allowed me to unload over 3,000 Triple-A peices, 600 AA Missile Batteries, and several extra long-range artillery pieces. As a sign of continued goodwill, I turned over control to the AI after placing them, and wouldn't you know it? I outdid the Ai's integrated tactics program. The thing actually praised me on finding a more effective layout then what it would have done. (Granted I got Colonel, the creator, to mess with the programming because it kept trying to move the artillery sites to cover surrounding countries, as it didn't understand that nobody would ever encroach from that direction because of the nukes. It only understood that itself and other AI would not, but was programmed to assume the human player could and would do the unpredictable.)

Nassau was nuked into the ground after Matt tried an incursion by Antiship missiles into my airspace. Suffice to say, unless the atmosphere evaporates, Nassau is never going to be above sea level again. Guam on the other hand, was the result of China's agressive and arrogant Ai programming, and a little somethin' somethin' that Colonel put in for when WWIII was triggered. China immediately responded to nearby American bases with distrust, and launched twenty nuclear weapons including four 'Earthquake' nukes at Guam. Guam, too, like Nassau, will not be seen ever again. And with that, the American Air Force's ability to wage war in Asia was effectively deleted as it was forced to pull out of most of its bases in Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Mongolia, and India. (Truthfully, India blew itself up, and took the Americans with them. Talk about a major glitch, they weren't supposed to target enemy units in their own territory. xD)

The two Koreas, after witnessing my brutality of the Mexian Invasion, and after hearing rumors of a vast array of weapons trained on it, quickly reunited as the United Korean Republic. Kin-Jong-Il vanished three days beforehand, and was not found until a week after the sucessful integration of the two armies, dead and naked, in an irrigation ditch. His sons were excused from any hate against their father, and are being reeducated in the few governmental ways. Although America was forced to leave South Korea militarily, they did leave their defense equipment and technical experts in the country to help the UKR defend itself in the coming war until they could gear for mass production of defensive equipment.

Also an interesting glitch occured last year in which a huge chunk of the Pacific Ocean vanished, and nobody noticed for three days. We had some good laughs over that one.
-------------------------------
November 8th, 2010; 0800.

The 7th Cavalry (America) pushed and sucessfully captured the capital of Mexico, effectively ending the Mexican Invasion for good. Sporadic fighting still dots the country as military units resist the stand down order, but no further losses have occured.

The Western Oblasts of the Russian Federation, namely Pskov, Smolensk, Bryansk, Kursk, Belgorod, Voronezh, Oryol, Kaluga, Tyver, Novgorod, Leningrad, (and St. Petersburg) Rostov, Tula and Lipetsk were all ahniliated or annexed by Elliot in a brilliant Blitz attack. Astrakhan (Moscow) put up a brilliant defense, and is still intact today.

The Russian Invasion Map: November
[RP] Global Hunter: Wolves of Pure Planet 14 Russia12

Note: Moscow is '1', the little PURPLE dot bordering the red aera. It is in fact purple, not red.

It may be hard to read some of the numbers. I'm working on that right now.

***More coming soon!***

Last edited by Ocean Seven on Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:17 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated Russian Invasion Map: November)
Back to top Go down
http://www.project-n25.deviantart.com
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder
Ocean Seven

[RP] Global Hunter: Wolves of Pure Planet 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [RP] Global Hunter: Wolves of Pure Planet 14   [RP] Global Hunter: Wolves of Pure Planet 14 EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 11:52 am

The December Campaign Map will be coming soon. Just have to wrap up one last battle to conclude November's attacks. (Any attacks started after December 1st are not included.)

Update: Yes, this is open for [RP]. Not quite in the same sense, but more for suggestions on next moves. There's only so much one mind can do on a problem, and so far, none of my other territories are under significant threat of attack, so outside suggestions are less likely to cause confusion. (Trust me. I've had three major offensives going at once and someone suggested a move in- against all odds- the least significant one and in shifting assets I nearly compromised the other two. (Because moving artillery actually can take a week ingame, and I didn't have a lot in the area to begin with. By a freak coincidence, Matt had moved through just the place that used to be covered by artillery, and I nearly lost that position. (Becuase Matt is tactically-challanged and just generally stupid, he attacks with a random assortment of units, making him equally easy to kill as he is hard to counter. He might not use formations or have any order of battle whatsoever (not just unseeable, its literally not there.) but his random, unpredictable assortments are hard to counter with anything other then artillery because you're always garrisoned for specific threat types.)

I can't exactly put down unit formations here- there's way too many units to name them all off, but I can generally say whats where. For the most part, the front is shaped like so:

|
|
|------------------

The bulk of armour assets are in the South, with gradually less as you travel North along the combat borders. This is because China is hostile, and the only friendly area in China is Hong Kong, and not all of it, realistically. (Mostly just the port; I use it to house the Montanna-II Battleship for long-range bombardment, but right now it can't cover much of the Russian Battlefield that is in enemy hands.) Artillery assets are mostly up North, so there is a small patch in the Southwest corner that is uncovered by long-range support. (Other then the Montanna-II, which is a hell of a lot less effective at that sort of range then artillery, with a much slower rate of fire to boot. It's built more to ahnilate positions and flatten land, not rout enemy forces for reoccupation.)

There isn't a hell of a lot of gunship support, and strike missions from high-speed aircraft are limited because of long-range antiaircraft missiles. (Why can a helicopter go in then? Because a smart commander will know that the helicopter will have all the time in the world to dive below a treeline or hill. AA Missiles aren't Javelins, they go straight and fast not up and down. Plus none of us really care for Anti-Helo missiles like that because we'd have to waste more resourses making them and pack them with existing AA batallions, making yet another target.)

At the very least enemy helicopters are few and far between because I am a staunch user of ZSU-23/4's, a fairly old flak dealer (especially in GH's timeline) because I'm a master of unconventional warfare- ZSU-23/4's make quite the awesome infantry shredder, and can pin down bunkers. (Whereas a tank can only make them flinch unless it gets a shell straight down the hole, which is tough at range. A ZSU-23/4 on the other hand, can sit on that same hill and just rain bullets down on the bunker's face from two miles out.)

When I say I use them a lot, that's probably an understatement. I use them in almost every armour rush that has at least an 80% of encountering very few enemy armour units, or none at all. (Even though a pack of ZSU-23/4's could sure as hell blind a tank by just hammering its turret face. Few enemy tanks in the Russian Campaign use RADAR because of this- even though it would be the only way to shoot aimed shots, the RADAR unit itself is extremly fragile and would not withstand more then one hit or a few grazes. It was meant for first-shot ambushes, not to survive combat damage.)

Of course in the end if they push me behind Amur Oblast and Sakha Republic, it's all over for them, at least if I decide to play my trump card. (We don't play like gamers- we play like real tacticians, so the longer a trump card (secret) is held at bay, the chance for a surprise turnaround becomes greater when it is revealed.)

While I can't say exactly what it is, I can say this: It's terrifying, it's deadly, and it's on the forum somewhere. And I've got at least five of them. RAGE RAPE FACE!

Also, if you want to make something for Global Hunter, by all means do so. I'll evaluate it and see how well it would perform on the battlefield. Most of the designs people have given me have been accepted, mostly by me. (Darn ol' Saga stole a couple IFV's and a sub design offa me though. D:<)

GH comprises Earth...and space. So feel free to load up the SSBP-2 and make a ship as well if you wish. Even if the ship isn't accepted into GH, it will most likely be accepted into one of my series, becaise I'm in dire need for new ships designs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.project-n25.deviantart.com

[RP] Global Hunter: Wolves of Pure Planet 14
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Writer's Craft :: Short Stories :: Short Stories-
Jump to: