Writer's Craft

Southwood's EWC4UI Writer's Craft Course 2010

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

1996 Rules of the Taliban Regarding Women - Pretty INSANE

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kw1234
Newly Discovered

PostSubject: 1996 Rules of the Taliban Regarding Women - Pretty INSANE   Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:47 am

For my final project, I chose to write a short story regarding a third world country. I chose Afghanistan and while researching about the country on the internet I found some disturbing things. In 1996 until 2001 the Taliban had control over Afghanistan and had many outraeous laws and regualtions. Here is a list of rules that were applied towards the women, and if not followed they faced death, or sever torture.

Taliban restrictions and mistreatment of women include the:

1- Complete ban on women's work outside the home, which also applies to female teachers, engineers and most professionals. Only a few female doctors and nurses are allowed to work in some hospitals in Kabul.

2- Complete ban on women's activity outside the home unless accompanied by a mahram (close male relative such as a father, brother or husband).

3- Ban on women dealing with male shopkeepers.

4- Ban on women being treated by male doctors.

5- Ban on women studying at schools, universities or any other educational institution. (Taliban have converted girls' schools into religious seminaries.)

6- Requirement that women wear a long veil (Burqa), which covers them from head to toe.

7- Whipping, beating and verbal abuse of women not clothed in accordance with Taliban rules, or of women unaccompanied by a mahram.

8- Whipping of women in public for having non-covered ankles.

9- Public stoning of women accused of having sex outside marriage. (A number of lovers are stoned to death under this rule).

10- Ban on the use of cosmetics. (Many women with painted nails have had fingers cut off).

11- Ban on women talking or shaking hands with non-mahram males.

12- Ban on women laughing loudly. (No stranger should hear a woman's voice).

13- Ban on women wearing high heel shoes, which would produce sound while walking. (A man must not hear a woman's footsteps.)

14- Ban on women riding in a taxi without a mahram.

15- Ban on women's presence in radio, television or public gatherings of any kind.

16- Ban on women playing sports or entering a sport center or club.

17- Ban on women riding bicycles or motorcycles, even with their mahrams.

18- Ban on women's wearing brightly colored clothes. In Taliban terms, these are "sexually attracting colors."

19- Ban on women gathering for festive occasions such as the Eids, or for any recreational purpose.

20- Ban on women washing clothes next to rivers or in a public place.

21- Modification of all place names including the word "women." For example, "women's garden" has been renamed "spring garden".

22- Ban on women appearing on the balconies of their apartments or houses.

23- Compulsory painting of all windows, so women can not be seen from outside their homes.

24- Ban on male tailors taking women's measurements or sewing women's clothes.

25- Ban on female public baths.

26- Ban on males and females traveling on the same bus. Public buses have now been designated "males only" (or "females only").

27- Ban on flared (wide) pant-legs, even under a burqa.

28- Ban on the photographing or filming of women.

29- Ban on women's pictures printed in newspapers and books, or hung on the walls of houses and shops.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Rules of the Taliban Regarding Women - Pretty INSANE   Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Ah. This brings me back to the days of Grade 6 when we brought this up, and we started rattling off outrageous laws elsewhere. (In Connecticut I believe, there used to be a law against speaking English between certain hours. and in Iowa there was a law banning coins in ears at any time for any reason. (They had a mishap with some guy driving with coins in his ears who crashed, IIRC.)

This begs the question- would they have balls enough to enforce those on foreigners who are touring? (Assuming said tourists had balls enough to go there in the first place.) And if they did and a death occured, what would the U.N. do? (In this case they'd have two clear options: A) Do what they always do, i.e. say they need years to decide and then never do anything except hand out Cease and Desist orders to NationStates.com because they used the U.N. logo and actually DID things, or B) Take immediate military or political action to condemn the Taliban for their actions, reimburse the victim's family for their unfortunate loss (this will be said in an uncaring monotone because the people at the U.N. are heartless tools, there are no exceptions to this rule) and then actually fix the problem.)

Some of these rules I can reason with, the veil thing isn't totally outrageous, they've done it for quite a while, if they really want to keep that, very little harm done. (Yes I'm being an enabler and I am most likely enabling opression, but if the Taliban was not known for opression of woman (i.e. they did not, are not and will not do it) not very many people would argue with it except stubborn people in the First World, who think that the rights of individuals (regardless of race, sex, demographic group, whatever) are somehow more important that survival or at the very least conditions of living.)

The darkened windows isn't totally disagreable, like the veil, not too much harm done there. (But since both will be black, it would made for some nasty heat-related difficulties) Yeah nobody can see a woman in a window, but you'd really hate to see others gawking over your woman anyways, so there's one pro in this.

The woman dealing with males in [name place] as well is understandable. They don't have the same kind of mindset we do, and don't have the same kind of self-control, so I can totally see where this one came from. It has practical basis that shines brighter then the opressive basis. It's still a load of crap, but at least it has good in it. (Except the Doctor's thing. Treatment would, in coordiation of the profession law, be virtually nonexistant.)

A few others, from a neutral point of view, I can see why they would be put into effect (other then opressionistic reasons) but the rest are just stupid, and as a whole, most of them are still stupid even if they have merit.

But in the end the whole thing it moot, imho, because we have no business if what they do. We live far apart, and if that is the way they want to govern their country, so be it. They probably think that we're a nation of perverted, weak-minded people. (And this 'butt out' school of thought was born from Vietnam- they lived horribly far in the past, but they had done that forever. They couldn't be converted because they were rooted to their past.)

All the easily misintrepreted in-depth looks at the rules aside, good luck on the project! Very Happy I can't even begin to guess what you might start with, which means you've got a lot of potential beginnings!

Also, awesome job at being the only person to actually prove that they're working on their final project. xD (Holy smokes. A month and a half left, give or take. I haven't even found half the books I need for mine! XD)

DeviantART: www.project-n25.deviantart.com
www.Lt-Sandstorm.deviantart.com wrote:
Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

"I am Forgotten. I am a Defender of Humanity. I risk my very existence every moment of every day, of every week, of every month, of every year. History will be grateful for what I have done, but history will not know who I am, or what I did. I will not be remembered by anyone, anywhere. When I pass on, nobody will know who I was. I live to block the deadly fragments of a grenade; to take a bullet meant for another; to be in harm's way, so that another will not. I exist for the sole purpose of dying. But for what? This is my life, for all it is worth. I am Forgotten."

-Motto of the Forgotten First Legion, 1st Reborn Fleet
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.project-n25.deviantart.com
Phemonix
Veteran Writer
Veteran Writer

PostSubject: Rawr   Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:50 pm

New Rule: Ban on all women from doing anything but cooking and having sex. NOW MAKE ME A SAMICH!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
moni.s
Experenced Writer
Experenced Writer

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Rules of the Taliban Regarding Women - Pretty INSANE   Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Sooo...basically the woman weren't really allowed a form of real identity.
-.-
that's pretty disgusting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.moni-cellardoor.tumblr.com
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Rules of the Taliban Regarding Women - Pretty INSANE   Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:35 am

Phemonix wrote:
New Rule: Ban on all women from doing anything but cooking and having sex. NOW MAKE ME A SAMICH!!!

Alright now THAT was low man! xD

I think that goes AGAINST what kw1234's trying to put forth. xD

"I am Forgotten. I am a Defender of Humanity. I risk my very existence every moment of every day, of every week, of every month, of every year. History will be grateful for what I have done, but history will not know who I am, or what I did. I will not be remembered by anyone, anywhere. When I pass on, nobody will know who I was. I live to block the deadly fragments of a grenade; to take a bullet meant for another; to be in harm's way, so that another will not. I exist for the sole purpose of dying. But for what? This is my life, for all it is worth. I am Forgotten."

Back to top Go down
GoldScarb
Veteran Writer
Veteran Writer

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Rules of the Taliban Regarding Women - Pretty INSANE   Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:36 pm

I think Chris is just trying to make a mockery of what those rules are trying to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Rules of the Taliban Regarding Women - Pretty INSANE   Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:40 pm

GoldScarb wrote:
I think Chris is just trying to make a mockery of what those rules are trying to do.

Well of course. Otherwise, we'd have tarred and feathered him by now. xD

Back to top Go down
Phemonix
Veteran Writer
Veteran Writer

PostSubject: Rawr   Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:44 pm

You can try. MUHUHAHAHAHAHA

But ya, it seems strange from our point of view, whereas they have had to live with those rules their whole lives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Rules of the Taliban Regarding Women - Pretty INSANE   

Back to top Go down

1996 Rules of the Taliban Regarding Women - Pretty INSANE
Page 1 of 1