Writer's Craft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Writer's Craft

Southwood's EWC4UI Writer's Craft Course 2010

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Virus Assistance

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ocean Seven
S3 Studios Founder
S3 Studios Founder
Ocean Seven

Virus Assistance Empty
PostSubject: Virus Assistance   Virus Assistance EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 6:36 pm

Recently I got myself a little ol' malware that mimiced an antivirus. It was plainly obvious because what kind of stupid company makes a blurry icon? Plus I'd gotten the False 2009 Windows Defender one, so I knew how to spot it. This new one is an upgrade, in that is disables anything you can use to kill it (except Avast! AV for some reason) including resetting your internet ports.

The fix? Disconnect all internet connections, and unplug any wireless networks you are in range of. Shut down the computer, and reboot. It shouldn't harass you. Now travel to your Task manager and make sure no gibberish programs are running- aka asjfhasgh.exe. Now enable hidden folders, and travel to your Local Settings, and Temp Folder, checking for something along the same lines. ZIP OR RAR THE FOLDER AND EMAIL IT TO YOUR ANTIVIRUS PROVIDER. Or as many as you can think of. I sent it to the recycle bin and it seemed content with that. Haven't full deleted it just in case. Once you know what to look for you can search at any time. The IE disabling is a little trickier. This bugger resets all the ports, notably HTTP, HTTPS and FTP, which you need to run IE. Go fix it yourself if your name is Chris, otherwise scream at a poor tech support bastard until he breaks down and stops telling you to reset.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, IF A SITE SEEMS TO DO NOTHING BUT TRY TO MAKE YOU DOWNLOAD A FILE NO MATTER WHERE YOU CLICK ON THE PAGE, IT IS A VIRUS.

The most important thing to remember is DO NOT PANIC. Usually disconnecting it from a possible remote source will do the trick for most half-assed programs, but rebooting is not always the best idea. Getting a virus on your laptop is optimal, because yoy can lug the bastard anywhere if need be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.project-n25.deviantart.com

Virus Assistance
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Writer's Craft :: Articles :: Articles-
Jump to: